Happy Kitty Sewing: Thoughts about words...   

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thoughts about words...

UGH.  You know what's the worst?  When you open your mouth and say something offensive to someone else before really thinking about it.  Usually when you find something really annoying in someone else, it's because you don't like that quality in yourself or are afraid that you have that same quality; unless that person is THAT person who is just annoying....admit it, we all know one of those guys.

And I opened my mouth on someone else's blog, because I took offense to something, and left my personal thoughts on it.  And you know what she did?  She wrote back, thanking me for my comments, and spelling out what I took offense to was NOT what her message was, but explained more on what she was getting at. AND she was super kind in her email.  I feel like a giant ass.  Because, I took offense to something she didn't even mean.  One of my giant flaws, is taking offense to things because I feel less-than other people.  I might seem confident or assertive with my thoughts in public, but I'm also listening and triple-analyzing the way someone said something, or trying to figure out the hidden message behind their words.  When you are online, a lot of the time, it's 2 dimensional.  You can't hear the tone of the voice, so you create it in your own head.  What the hell does that mean?  or That is SO ME!!!  or Uh, where is this chick coming from?  Unless it's obvious, you kinda fill in the voice and tone of the message with your own voice.  I mean, you get someone when they are explaining something.  That's easy.  They are informing you about information they want to present.  It's a little harder, when that person is leaving their personal thoughts, opinions and "rants".  What happens when you don't agree?  What should you do when you get that urge to leave your thoughts so they are clear on why their thinking is "wrong"?  And what gives me the right to leave my opinion on why I think you are misguided?  Maybe I shouldn't.  Maybe I should just leave it be.  I don't have to leave my wisdom at every interaction I engage in.  And I probably learned a major lesson today in blogging.  I think I will stick to the very old adage of "If you can't say something nice"... or at least disagree in a positive way.  I don't always have to agree and find logic in other people's lives.  I need to keep thinking and not rush a response because I'm tired and have insomnia at 4:35 a.m.  I think I'll remember this one for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. If you put your opinion on the internet, other people have the right to give their opinion on your opinion. :) I wouldn't beat yourself up about it!

    ReplyDelete